Monday, August 18, 2008

Wood Badge Experience




"Oh, I used to be a Fox, and a good old Fox too..."


I had the opportunity to attend my first half of Boy Scout of America's Wood Badge Leadership Training this last weekend. I made some Amazing friends and learned more than my brain could keep a handle on sometimes. We are stationed at Camp Tracy up Millcreek Canyon for our training. We will go back again on Thursday this week to complete our training. To find out more about Wood Badge you can go to: http://www.woodbadge.org/ .


Our first day there we all started out like Cub Scouts. Lunch was our Blue & Gold Banquet and after lunch we had our bridging ceremony to scouts. I am in the Foxy patrol and loving it. Camping is fun enough by itself, but throw in a bunch of fun loving people, songs, and learning experiences with it and you have a very fulfilling experience. I am encouraging all my scouting friends to go now. I've caught the fire of the scouting spirit and I want them to as well!
I served as patrol scribe all but one of the days and that day I was patrol leader. The day that I was patrol leader we also got to make water rockets. As most of our classes went we either did an activity as an object lesson and then discussed what we just did or we had a lesson and then got to apply the principles. The water rockets were a lesson on project planning. Most of the things we learned, we learned them through some sort of game. As Baden Powell said, "Scouting is a game with a purpose."

1 comment:

The Pooles said...

My mom recently attended a week-long Woodbadge and loved every minute of it. It looks like you have been able to enjoy it too.